Friday, January 1, 2010

2010 in Michigan

This is a photo of the Michigan wall map inside the Michigan Historical Museum in Lansing. Free, full of interesting Michigan history, and easy, cheap parking right outside. I couldn't help but wonder as I was "designing my own" really cool concept car, what the Michigan Historical Museum will have on hand in 30 years to demonstrate the radical changes in the state's identity during this apparently post-industrial shift. My way has been paid for by GM because of my dad's 40 years on the payroll there - will my children find meaningful work in sustainable energy? Without the jobs and income for families from the auto industry and its spin-offs, how long can schools and colleges stay viable to keep people like me at work? Here's hoping for a turn for this fair state sometime soon.

No comments: